Saturday, January 16, 2010

heavy pockets and not in the good way

Canada has too many coins. I understand having a one dollar coin it’s nice to get one now and then but we mainly use a one dollar BILL. Paper. Not as heavy or loud. Seriously I have 11 dollars in coins right now. 8 of them are in two dollar coins. I hate coins in the states and now I have to carry around more? Not fun.

This weekend we have a group called CBOQ on camp. Conference Baptist of Ontario and quebec. 5 or 6 hundred people on camp, JCC doesn’t get that in a summer. I worked today, mostly checking bathrooms and doing kitchen laundry. Tomorrow is technically my day off but I think I’ll prolly go around and at least empty some of the garbages in bathrooms that were getting full tonight. Shouldn’t take me long.

I looked in the tuck shop for the first time today. That’s what they call the camp store here. I wanted to see what kind of muskoka woods apparel they have. I looked at the price on a sweatshirt that I thought looked nice and it was 75 dollars! That’s insane! Nice ones in the states are like 50 tops and the Canadian dollar is supposed to buy more than the American dollar right now. Holy cow. So I don’t think I’m gonna get myself any muskoka woods apparel unless there’s a decent staff discount.

On the plus side I am finally getting internet in my room. So I’m laying across the width of my bed with my head against my window typing this out. I’m rather impressed with myself since I can’t really see the keyboard and I’m not having too many spelling errors. Somewhere along the line I must have gotten good at typing.

Tomorrow afternoon Bex, a girl from new Zealand and I are going to go into parry sound again. She wants to get a new phone and judging from the fact that it’s only 9:30 and I’m bored I figure I’ll tag along and see what parry sound has to offer. As long as I stay away from the DVDs at wal-mart I should be fine.

I finished my application for JCC yesterday. I’ll mail it out on Monday provided I find an envelope to use. There were just too many headaches trying to submit it on-line. So hopefully I’ll get a job at JCC again this summer and I’ll be back in the states at least for the summer. I’m still looking at other camps keeping my options open, but I’m hoping to get at least one more summer in at JCC.

I hope all is going well for everyone at home, and I hope you’re enjoying these updates. I’ll try to keep ‘em coming. Let me know what you’d like to hear more about or what pictures you’d like to see etc. and I’m still looking for ideas for a staff night. So far I’m thinking Motown music, Arabic food, cherry pie and maybe a movie set in Michigan or something. I dunno I think with some help I can do better so seriously if you’ve got ideas let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you about the heavy coins. And I never got over the idea that I would hand someone a $10 bill for a $5 purchase and get coins back instead of some paper. I would always keep waiting for them to give me the rest of my change and then realize they gave me loonies and toonies.

    For a Michigan movie, how about Escanaba in the Moonlight? Or how about a really hokey square dancing night? (Can't get more Americana than that!)

    ReplyDelete