Today brought its own interesting adventures. When I woke up I realized I needed to make a trip to the drug store. On my way into town [the nearest towns are all half hour away] I realized half way there that I didn’t have my license. Then I realized that I didn’t have my passport or birth certificate to open my bank account. Finally I get to town and I go to fill my car up I realize my credit card is with my drivers license. Thankfully I have the cash I was going to use to open my bank account and the gas station takes American.
The rest of the staff got in today and they all seem pretty cool. I feel like a bit of an outsider because most of them have been here before and know each other. Plus they’re all outdoor recreation staff and I’m just housekeeping. We did play some awesome games tonight and I think I’m gonna have to bring tube dodeball and tube tag back to the states.
As I’m sitting in the staff lounge watching hockey I’m paying attention to the commercials and so far there are three basic types of commercials [in order of how often they appear] beer, Tim Horton’s and Olympics. And the Olympic commercials are far fewer than the other two.
I’ve also found that in Canada they have some different flavors of potato chips. Apparently lays makes a smokey bacon flavor, as much as I love bacon this just doesn’t taste right you can’t put bacon flavor into a powder form. Doritos also has a sweet chili heat flavor, they’re pleasantly spicy but I don’t think they’re something I’d eat a lot of.
The meals here are pretty good. I don’t know that the food is as good as Marilyn’s or Becky’s but it’s not bad. They have had fresh fruit at every meal [I don’t know how with all the frozenness but oh well] and tonight they tried to hide some veggies in the rice.
Tonight I’m feeling a little homesick and I find myself wondering if I can last the three months but then I remember that if I can make it through the past six months I can make it through anything plus it might just be a bad night.
Well the maple leafs lost but the rallied pretty well in the third. I think I’m gonna go to bed. I volunteered for breakfast duty tomorrow morning at 7.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment